Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Chapter 7

Avoiding Plagiarism
To avoid plagiarism, you need to know how to actually use sources. Sources are not meant to provide all the information in a paper or rhetorical analysis. If this was the case, there would be no need to write the piece in the first place. The purpose of writing is to create, contribute, and learn. Think about the information you have gathered, and use it for your own argument. For my essay, I am writing about the change in religion over time in relation to the growth of science (roughly). For a search for a source, I wouldn't type "the change in religion over time in relation to the growth of science" into a search engine. If I did, and somehow miraculously came up with a result, I wouldn't really be able to use it. It would be too similar to my paper. What more could I say? Assuming that the source is thorough, not much. The key is to find sources that will contribute, and to take notes on these sources. For example, If I find a source on the Enlightenment, I would write down some of the points describing religion in the Enlightenment from that source. I would also search the source for other information that could be linked to the religious movements of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment