Thursday, September 8, 2011

Glarp nnananana

As a guy, I guess I never realized how strongly girls feel about the advertisements that hurt their self-esteem. The reading today about Dove's campaign to shift the perspective of advertising was interesting to me. One thing that irked me, however, was the failure to mention how such advertising does affect males. The campaign was obviously more relevant to females, as it involves a hair care company, but many articles focus only on how females are affected. I basically wrote my paper on how advertisements make men feel less capable or strong so I won't go too much into it here. The thing is, I personally feel like less of a man when I see guys who are "roided up" or when I see a movie with one of those "ripped" actors. The fact that men feel this way is often overlooked because men are less likely to voice their complaints about such issues. The reason for this is because it is much less acceptable socially for a man to complain at all. Which is another double standard that goes overlooked. Society would look at a man who complains about such things as weak. He would probably be accused of being homosexual or something, too. Women have it lucky; they can actually complain about oppression and difficulties. Men are trapped by societies rules. They are forced to tough it out. Which I guess just makes us more manly. Which is a joke. Hmmmm...

1 comment:

  1. You're definitely right. There needs to be a focus on men as well, because many ads can make men feel just as insecure.

    ReplyDelete